January 14 Atlanta Alumni Reception
January 15 Mike Lints Alumni Track Meet
January 22 Young Alumni Event @ GR Griffins Hockey Game (SOLD OUT!)
January 22 Music Alumni & Friends Reception
January 27 Tampa Alumni Reception
January 28 Chicago Alumni Reception
January 28 Orlando Alumni Reception
February 4 Public Administration Alumni Reception
February 5 President's Ball
February 9 GVSU Careerfest & Health Career Day
February 11 Classic Pairings
March 27 - April 1 Community Outreach Week
Jan Wierenga, '76, among alums featured in weekly radio spots
Wierenga was one of 10 "Great Lakers" highlighted for personal and professional accomplishments during Laker football radio broadcasts last Fall. She is currently Senior Vice President for the YMCA of Greater Grand Rapids and has worked in some capacity for the organization for over 33 years. She is responsible for directing all operations, including marketing, program development, community outreach/collaborations, and membership sales and retention. She also manages the YMCA’s United Way allocations, program grants and inner-city initiatives. Wierenga earned a BS in Health and Physical Education from GVSU in 1976.
Listen to Radio Spot
Show your Laker pride when you hit the road
Save money and earn rewards
Membership has its privileges!
Are you looking for a job or to make a career change? Get help from your alma mater. View positions and post your resume at Laker Jobs.
Pass it on
Know anyone who might be interested in our newsletter?
to forward this email to up to 5 friends at once.
Give to GVSU
GVSU Announces New Head Football Coach
GVSU announced yesterday that Matt Mitchell has
been named the seventh head coach in the tradition-rich history of the GVSU football program. Mitchell replaces Chuck Martin who left to become the defensive backs coach at the University of Notre Dame under former Grand Valley coach Brian Kelly. A six-year veteran of the GVSU coaching staff, Mitchell, 35, most recently concluded his second year as the defensive coordinator and linebacker/safety coach for the Lakers. Read more or view the press conference clip.
GVSU alumni and Laker football fans are invited to meet and greet Coach Mitchell during a special reception scheduled for noon on Friday, January 8 at the Peppinos Downtown Sports Lounge, 130 Ionia Avenue SW, Grand Rapids. A lunch buffet will be available for $7.95.
Alumni Association Seeks Award Nominations
Do you know a GVSU graduate who deserves recognition for his or her personal and professional accomplishments? If so - let us know! Nominations are currently being accepted for the 2010 GVSU Distinguished Alumni Award. The award recognizes alumni who have made outstanding contributions to society, and whose accomplishments and careers reflect favorably upon Grand Valley. Nominations may be made by alumni, faculty, or staff members and must be received by January 9. Visit www.gvsu.edu/alumni/awards for full award criteria and to nominate a deserving candidate today!
Music Alumni & Friends Reception - January 22
Graduates of Grand Valley State University's Department of Music and their guests are invited to attend an hors d'oeuvres and cocktail reception on Friday, January 22 during the Michigan Music Conference. Join fellow music alumni and friends from 5 - 7 p.m. in the Amway Grand Plaza's Grandview Room, Grand Rapids. Please RSVP by January 19. Contact Valerie Stoelzel for more information or call 616.331.3678.
Public Administration Alumni to Gather During Annual Conference - February 3
Join fellow Public Administration alumni, students, and faculty for a social networking reception during the 2010 MLGMA Winter Institute at the Amway Grand Plaza in Grand Rapids. Hosted by Brooklyn Village Manager, Victor Cardenas, '00, the event will begin at 5:30 p.m. on Wednesday, February 3. GVSU President Thomas J. Haas will offer special remarks at 6 p.m. Please RSVP by January 28.
An Alumni Valentine's Celebration - February 11
The Alumni Association invites alumni couples back to GVSU for a special Valentine's Day celebration. Enjoy "Classic Pairings - Me and My Baby Down Route 66" featuring gourmet food and wine pairings at the Alumni House and Visitor Center in Allendale. Cost is just $70 per couple. Purchase tickets now - space is limited!
Advance Your Career!
Are you looking for a job or to make a career move? Need to update your skills or resume? Let your alma mater help! Grand Valley's office of career services has numerous upcoming events scheduled to help you as you travel down your career path, including:
Upcoming Volunteer Opportunities - Have a COW This Spring
Community Outreach Week (COW) is scheduled for March 27 - April 1. This week of service is aimed at uniting Lakers from around the globe in providing volunteer support and outreach in their own communities and in ways meaningful to each individual or group. The Alumni Association will be leading coordinated projects each day during the week. Projects are currently being finalized so stay tuned for more details or let us know if you would like to volunteer at a local organization or lead a group in your area in the name of Grand Valley. Contact email@example.com
to volunteer or for more information.
GVSU Fans Gathered Around the Country for National Football Championship Game
Alumni and fans of GVSU football gathered from coast-to-coast to root for the Lakers in the 2009 NCAA Division II National Championship game held December 11. At more than 30 alumni-hosted watch parties around the country, hundreds threw their support behind the Lakers who fell to Northwest Missouri State 30-23. The trip marked the sixth time since 2001 Grand Valley had made it to the championship game. The team won back-to-back championships in 2002 and 2003, repeating that feat in 2005 and 2006. Thank you fans for your support!
View photos from Alabama and the Watch Parties.
New Year - New You!
Are you resolving to get back that college figure in 2010? Let the GVSU Fieldhouse and Recreation Center help. All GVSU alumni are eligible for discounted membership to the award-winning facility, including use of the pool, gymnasiums, track, and an extensive selection of cardiovascular and weightlifting equipment. Alumni membership is just $30 (individual) or $50 (family) per month, or $125 (individual) or $220 (family) for one year. Get more information about the Rec Center
and sign up for your membership today!
Got the Winter Blues? Travel with GVSU!
If you've got the winter blues or just need to get away for a while, then take advantage of great travel programs and resources offered exclusively to GVSU alumni. The GVSU Alumni Association offers alumni and friends discounted travel and education opportunities to exotic destinations around the world. More information...
Alumni Volunteers Help at WGVU Pledge Drive
Alumni volunteers got their 15 minutes of fame on WGVU-TV December 1. Ten graduates provided on-air talent and acted as phone bank operators, helping the Grand Valley operated PBS station raise over $7,000 in support of the WGVU mission: to educate, inform and entertain. The annual alumni event is fun and offers volunteers the chance to see how the television station operates from the inside.
Laker Athletics Year In Review
2009 marked another outstanding year for Laker athletics. The Alumni Association congratulates the GVSU athletes and coaches who continue to help promote and elevate the name of Grand Valley State University for remarkable seasons, deserving accolades and several national championship playoff runs. Way to go Lakers!
- Women's Soccer claimed its first NCAA Division II National Championship and boasts the NCSAA Player of the Year. More
- Men's Football made its sixth national title game appearance since 2001 and finished the season with a 13-2 record. More
- Women's Volleyball ended their season with a 16-13 overall record and a 10th straight trip to the NCAA postseason. More
- Men's Cross Country placed fifth at the NCAA Division II National Championships with the help of four Lakers who finished in the top-50. More
- Women's Cross Country took second place at the NCAA Division II National Championships and had five Lakers place in the top-30 at the tournament. More
- Men's Golf clinched back-to-back GLIAC championships during their Fall season and head back to the links February 8. More
- Women's Golf received its first-ever #1 national ranking after a strong fall season in which the Lakers won four of the six tournaments they competed in. They begin their spring season on March 10-11. More
- Women's Tennis placed six student-athletes on the 2009 All-GLIAC team after the fall portion of the 2009-10 season. They return to action February 19. More
- Men's Tennis recorded numerous outstanding performances in its final competition of the fall season and will resume play February 5. More
Club & Chapter Corner
GVSU is coming to you! Meet up with fellow GVSU alumni and receive the latest information about the University at these networking receptions. Food and beverages will be provided.
- Atlanta Alumni & Friends Reception - January 14 at 6:30 p.m. Hosted by Atlanta-area graduate Chase Turner, '04, with remarks from GVSU President Thomas J. Haas and Athletic Director Tim Selgo. RSVP by 1/8/10.
- Tampa Alumni & Friends Reception - January 27 at 6:30 p.m. Hosted by Tampa Alumni Club Leader Tara Crow, '97, and Pioneer Class graduate Robert Monaghan, '67. RSVP by 1/22/10.
- Chicago Alumni & Friends Reception - January 28 from 5:30 - 8:30 p.m. Join Chicago Club Leaders Brian Dutkiewicz, '02, and Rachel Vanderwiel, '09, for an evening of networking, food, drink, sharing GVSU memories, and to learn more about upcoming events planned for alumni in the Chicago area. RSVP by 1/21/10.
- Orlando Alumni & Friends Reception - January 28 at 6:30 p.m. Hosted by Orlando alumni Jill Kincaid, ’88, and Diane, ’87 & Larry, '90 Reed, with remarks from GVSU President Thomas J. Haas. RSVP by 1/22/10.